SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Australasian Orthodontic Journal. Volume 36, Issue 1, Pages 75-86, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/aoj-2020-010
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Published Online: 20-July-2021
Background: Electric resistance heat treatment may be performed on orthodontic arch wires, but it remains unclear whether this procedure reliably provides better mechanical properties or whether an austenite phase transition affords less cytotoxicity and less arch wire width change.
Methods: Stainless steel (SS) arch wires of 0.017 × 0.025 and 0.019 × 0.025 inches in size were heat-treated using a spot welder for eight seconds at power settings of 2, 4, 6 and 8. The surface morphology, coefficient of friction (COF), flexural modulus, cytotoxicity, austenitic content, colour change and arch width of the samples were subsequently analysed.
Results: The COF, flexural modulus and austenitic content of the orthodontic SS arch wires increased after heat treatment. SS wires appearing brownish-yellow and blue exhibited higher flexural moduli. The heat treatment of the SS wires did not significantly increase arch wire width or cause cytotoxicity.
Conclusions: Electric resistance heat treatment of SS arch wires is a feasible method to improve the flexural modulus without widening the arch wire and increasing cytotoxicity. The colour of the wire helps determine the heating status, and the maximum flexural modulus of the wires is obtained when the colour changes to brownish-yellow.
1. Khamatkar A. Ideal Properties of Orthodontic Wires and Their Clinical Implications -A Review. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2015;14:47- 50.
2. Močnik P, Kosec T, Kovač J, Bizjak M. The effect of pH, fluoride and tribocorrosion on the surface properties of dental archwires. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2017;78:682-9.
3. Sun H, Wu XQ, Han EH, Wei YZ. Effects of pH and dissolved oxygen on electrochemical behavior and oxide films of 304SS in borated and lithiated high temperature water. Corros Sci 2012;59:334-42.
4. Ryan MP, Williams DE, Chater RJ, Hutton BM, McPhail DS. Why stainless steel corrodes. Nature 2002;415:770-4.
5. Fields HW, Jr Sarver DM, Proffit WR. In: Contemporary Orthodontics. 4th edn. St. Louis: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2007.
6. Tian K, Darvell BW. Determination of flexural modulus of elasticity of orthodontic archwires. Dent Mater 2010;26:821-9.
7. Acharya KA, Jayade VP. Metallurgical properties of stainless steel orthodontic archwires: a comparative study. Trends Biomater Artif Organs 2005;18:125-36.
8. Zia AW, Zhou Z, Shum PW, Li LKY. The effect of two-step heat treatment on hardness, fracture toughness, and wear of different biased diamond-like carbon coatings. Surf Coat Tech 2017;320:118- 25.
9. Pongpat K, Dechkunakorn S, Anuwongnukroh N, Khantachawana A. Mechanical Properties of Curved Nickel-Titanium Orthodontic Archwires Prepared by Cold Bending and Heat Bending Techniques. Solid State Phenomena 2017;266:245-51.
10. Dechkunakorn S, Sujaritviriyakul C, Anuwongnukroh N, Tangjit N. Effect of Direct Electric Resistance Heat Treatment on Loading/ Unloading Behavior of Nickel Titanium Orthodontic Wire. Appl Mech Mater 2014;487:135-40.
11. Sepúlveda CH, Gontijo SML, Santos LA, Drummond AF, Menezes LFS, Neves LS et al. Influence of heat treatment on the mechanical properties of CrNi stainless steel orthodontic wires. Dental Press J Orthod 2019;24:68-73.
12. Yao S, Ying K, Li Z, Shen L. [Development and clinical application of dental spot weld & heat-treat tri-uses device.] Zhongguo Yi Liao Qi Xie Za Zhi 1999;23:207-9,238. Chinese.
13. Gu Y, Zhuang R, Xie X, Zhang D, Bai Y. Optimization of clinically applied orthodontic archwire electrothermal treatment conditions by heat tint and mechanical properties: An experimental study. Int Orthod 2020;18:137-46.
14. Cuoghi OA, Kasbergen GF, Santos PH, Mendonça MR, Tondelli PM. Effect of heat treatment on stainless steel orthodontic wires. Braz Oral Res 2011;25:128-34.
15. Sutherland GW. Electric Versus Furnace Heat Treatment of Cobalt Chromium Wire. Loyola University Chicago Master’s Theses 1978; Paper 2975.
16. Lopez-Galileaa I, Huth S, Theisen W. Effect of the cooling rate during heat treatment and hot isostatic pressing on the microstructure of a SX Ni-superalloy. MATEC Web of Conferences 2014;14:13009.
17. Calik A. Effect of cooling rate on hardness and microstructure of AISI 1020, AISI 1040 and AISI 1060 steels. Int J of Physics Sciences 2009;4:514-8.
18. Nagatani SS, Fisher JG, Hondrum SO. Effect of heat treatment on stainless steel lingual arch appliances. ASDC J Dent Chil 1996;63:346-9.
19. Huang HH. Surface characterizations and corrosion resistance of nickel–titanium orthodontic archwires in artificial saliva of various degrees of acidity. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2005;74:629-39.
20. Chojnacka K, Mikulewicz M. Modelling of Cr and Ni ions release during orthodontic treatment: in vitro and in vivo methods. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2014;38,932-7.
21. Lü X, Bao X, Huang Y, Qu Y, Lu H, Lu Z. Mechanisms of cytotoxicity of nickel ions based on gene expression profiles. Biomaterials 2009;30:141-8.
22. Pereira BR, Tanaka OM, Lima AA, Guariza-Filho O, Maruo H, Camargo ES. Metal and ceramic bracket effects on human buccal mucosa epithelial cells. Angle Orthod 2009;79:373-9.
23. USP. The Pharmacopoeia of the United States of America. 22nd ed. The United States Pharmacopeial Convention, Inc., Washington, DC, 1989.
24. International Organization for Standardization. Wires for use in orthodontics. UNE-EN ISO 15841:2014. 2014;1-12.
25. ASTM International. ASTM D790-10, Standard Test Methods for Flexural Properties of Unreinforced and Reinforced Plastics and Electrical Insulating Materials. ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, 2010.
26. Zeng LL, Hong ZS, Cai YQ, Han J. Change of hydraulic conductivity during compression of undisturbed and remolded clays. Applied Clay Science 2011;51:86-93.
27. Caglar A, Yamanel K, Gulsahi K, Bagis B, Özcan M. Could digital imaging be an alternative for digital colorimeters? Clin Oral Investig 2010;14:713-8.
28. Smith RN, Collins LZ, Naeeni M, Joiner A, Philpotts CJ, Hopkinson I et al. The in vitro and in vivo validation of a mobile non-contact camera-based digital imaging system for tooth color measurement. J Dent 2008;36:S15-20.
29. Ge QM, Zhang FQ. [A study of color measurement for vital teeth using digital camera.] Shanghai Kou Qiang Yi Xue 2007;16:377-80. Chinese.
30. Iwasaki LR, Haack JE, Nickel JC, Morton J. Human tooth movement in response to continuous stress of low magnitude. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2000;117:175-83.
31. Moltke TV, Pistoriust PC, Sandernberght RF. The influence of heattinted surface layers on the corrosion resistance of stainless steels. Proceedings of the 1st International Chromium Steel and Alloys Congress. Cape Town, Johannesburg 1992;2:185-95.
32. Pacheco MR, Jansen WC, Oliveira DD. The role of friction in orthodontics. Dental Press J Orthod 2012;17:170-7.
33. Oh KT, Kim KN. Ion release and cytotoxicity of stainless steel wires. Eur J Orthod 2005;27:533-40.
34. Izquierdo PP, de Biasi RS, Elias CN, Nojima LI. Martensitic transformation of austenitic stainless steel orthodontic wires during intraoral exposure. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2010;138:714. e1-5.
35. Cheary RW, Ma-Sorrell Y. Quantitative phase analysis by X-ray diffraction of martensite and austenite in strongly oriented orthodontic stainless steel wires. J Mater Sci 2002;35:1105-13.
36. Rajan TV, Sharma CP, Sharma A. Heat Treatment: Principles and Techniques. Illustrated ed. New Delhi: Prentice Hall, 1992;1.
37. Brill TB. Light, its interaction with art and antiquities. 1st Ed. New York: Springer US, 1980;55.
38. Andrews J. New Edge of the Anvil: a resource book for the blacksmith. 1st ed. Skipjack Pr, 1994;98-9.
39. Aumpiem A, Prateepasen A. the relation of oxygen value, heat tint and pitting corrosion in super duplex pipe. Proceedings of 3rd International Conference on Mechanical and Production Engineering. Bangkok, Thailand, 2017;18-19th.
40. Wandell BA, Silverman LD. Digital Color Reproduction. In Shevell SK. The science of color. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Ltd, 2003.
41. Hong GW, Luo MR, Rhodes PA. A study of digital camera colorimetric characterization based on polynomial modeling. Color Res Appl 2001;26:76-84.
42. Higginson RL, Jackson CP, Murrell EL, Exworthy PAZ., Mortimer RJ, Worrall DR et al. Effect of thermally grown oxides on color development of stainless steel. Mater High Temp 2015;32:113-7.
43. Habekost M. Which color differencing equation should be used? International Circular of Graphic Education and Research 2013;6:20-33.
44. Seghi RR, Hewlett ER, Kim J. Visual and instrument colorimetric assessments of small color differences on translucent dental porcelain. J Dent Res 1989;68:1760-4.
45. Oda S, Arai K, Nakahara R. Commercially available archwire forms compared with normal dental arch forms in a Japanese population. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2010;137:520-7.
46. McLaughlin RP, Bennett JC, Trevisi HJ. Systemized orthodontic treatment mechanics. 1st edn. Edinburgh: Mosby, 2001;324.