SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Australasian Orthodontic Journal. Volume 34, Issue 1, Pages 94-102, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/aoj-2020-063
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Published Online: 20-July-2021
Background: The present case report describes the orthodontic management of a patient who presented with a skeletal Class III malocclusion combined with other dental anomalies. The malocclusion was complicated by agenic maxillary lateral incisors and a lower right second premolar, in company with the transposition of the maxillary canines and premolars.
Methods: Dentoalveolar compensation of the anteroposterior jaw relationship was performed. The upper deciduous lateral incisors were extracted and the spaces closed, so that the first premolars replaced the missing lateral incisors while the canine transposition was maintained.
Results: Satisfactory results were obtained which provided an improvement in function and occlusal stability, as well as smile and profile aesthetics.
Conclusion: This case demonstrates the importance of an accurate diagnosis when many treatment options are available and clearly addressed.
1. Chan GK. Class III malocclusion in Chinese (Cantonese): etiology and treatment. Am J Orthod 1974;65:152-7.
2. Silva RG, Kang DS. Prevalence of malocclusion among Latino adolescents. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2001;119:313-5.
3. Baik HS, Han HK, Kim DJ, Proffit WR. Cephalometric characteristics of Korean Class III surgical patients and their relationship to plans for surgical treatment. Int J Adult Orthodon Orthognath Surg 2000;15:119-28.
4. Thilander B, Myrberg N. The prevalence of malocclusion in Swedish schoolchildren. Scand J Dent Res 1973;81:12-21.
5. Haynes S. The prevalence of malocclusion in English children aged 11-12 years. Rep Congr Eur Orthod Soc 1970:89-98.
6. Stellzig-Eisenhauer A, Lux CJ, Schuster G. Treatment decision in adult patients with Class III malocclusion: orthodontic therapy or orthognathic surgery? Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2002;122:27-37.
7. Lin J, Gu Y. Preliminary investigation of nonsurgical treatment of severe skeletal Class III malocclusion in the permanent dentition. Angle Orthod 2003;73:401-10.
8. Proffit WR, Fields HW, Sarver DM. Contemporary orthodontics. 4th edn. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby Elsevier, 2007; xii, 751.
9. Georgalis K, Woods MG. A study of Class III treatment: orthodontic camouflage vs orthognathic surgery. Aust Orthod J 2015;31:138-48.
10. Polder BJ, Van’t Hof MA, Van der Linden FP, Kuijpers-Jagtman AM. A meta-analysis of the prevalence of dental agenesis of permanent teeth. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2004;32:217-26.
11. Bassiouny DS, Afify AR, Baeshen HA, Birkhed D, Zawawi KH. Prevalence of maxillary lateral incisor agenesis and associated skeletal characteristics in an orthodontic patient population. Acta Odontol Scand 2016;74:456-9.
12. Johal A, Katsaros C, Kuijpers-Jagtman AM; Angle Society of Europe membership. State of the science on controversial topics: missing maxillary lateral incisors--a report of the Angle Society of Europe 2012 meeting. Prog Orthod 2013;14:20.
13. Thilander B. Orthodontic space closure versus implant placement in subjects with missing teeth. J Oral Rehabil 2008;35 Suppl 1:64-71.
14. Silveira GS, de Almeida NV, Pereira DM, Mattos CT, Mucha JN. Prosthetic replacement vs space closure for maxillary lateral incisor agenesis: A systematic review. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2016;150:228-37.
15. Robertsson S, Mohlin B. The congenitally missing upper lateral incisor. A retrospective study of orthodontic space closure versus restorative treatment. Eur J Orthod 2000;22:697-710.
16. Peck S, Peck L. Classification of maxillary tooth transpositions. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1995;107:505-17.
17. Ciarlantini R, Melsen B. Maxillary tooth transposition: correct or accept? Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;132:385-94.
18. Rabie AB, Gu Y. Diagnostic criteria for pseudo-Class III malocclusion. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2000;117:1-9.
19. Reyes A, Serret L, Peguero M, Tanaka O. Diagnosis and treatment of pseudo-Class III malocclusion. Case Rep Dent 2014;2014:652936.
20. Nordquist GG, McNeill RW. Orthodontic vs. restorative treatment of the congenitally absent lateral incisor--long term periodontal and occlusal evaluation. J Periodontol 1975;46:139-43.
21. Bjerklin K, Bennett J. The long-term survival of lower second primary molars in subjects with agenesis of the premolars. Eur J Orthod 2000;22:245-55.
22. Tanaka T, Deguchi T, Kageyama T, Kanomi R, Inoue M, Foong KW. Autotransplantation of 28 premolar donor teeth in 24 orthodontic patients. Angle Orthod 2008;78:12-9.