SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Australasian Orthodontic Journal. Volume 34, Issue 2, Pages 263-267, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/aoj-2020-078
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Published Online: 20-July-2021
The intrusion of over-erupted upper molars is an orthodontic problem of major difficulty. When conventional appliances are used, the extrusion of adjacent teeth is likely. However, in recent years, temporary anchorage devices have been used to avoid unwanted side effects. For this purpose, mini-implants have primarily been inserted in the alveolar process. However, due to many disadvantages associated with mini-implant placement between the roots of the upper molars, it is now preferred to insert miniimplants in the anterior palate, which ensures a low risk of failure or mini-implant fracture. The ‘Mini-Mousetrap’ appliance (without a TPA) was designed as a less bulky alternative to the ‘Mousetrap’ (with a TPA), and is comprised of two mini-implants in the anterior palate and attached lever arms for molar intrusion. If a TPA is not used, molar movement must be monitored and the direction of the force adjusted to avoid unwanted molar tipping.
1. Kravitz ND, Kusnoto B, Tsay PT, Hohlt WF. Intrusion of overerupted upper first molar using two orthodontic miniscrews. A case report. Angle Orthod 2007;77:915-22.
2. Kravitz ND, Kusnoto B, Tsay TP, Hohlt WF. The use of temporary anchorage devices for molar intrusion. J Am Dent Assoc 2007;138:56-64.
3. Yao CC, Lee JJ, Chen HY, Chang ZC, Chang HF, Chen YJ. Maxillary molar intrusion with fixed appliances and mini-implant anchorage studied in three dimensions. Angle Orthod 2005;75:754- 60.
4. Sherwood KH, Burch JG, Thompson WJ. Closing anterior open bites by intruding molars with titanium miniplate anchorage. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2002;122:593-600.
5. Lin JC, Liou EJ, Yeh CL. Intrusion of overerupted maxillary molars with miniscrew anchorage. J Clin Orthod 2006;40:378-83; quiz 358.
6. Wilmes B. Fields of Application of Mini-Implants. In: Ludwig B, Baumgaertel S, Bowman J, eds. Innovative Anchorage Concepts. Mini-Implants in Orthodontics. Berlin, New York: Quintessenz, 2008.
7. Erverdi N, Keles A, Nanda R. The use of skeletal anchorage in open bite treatment: a cephalometric evaluation. Angle Orthod 2004;74:381-90.
8. Umemori M, Sugawara J, Mitani H, Nagasaka H, Kawamura H. Skeletal anchorage system for open-bite correction. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1999;115:166-74.
9. Moon CH, Wee JU, Lee HS. Intrusion of overerupted molars by corticotomy and orthodontic skeletal anchorage. Angle Orthod 2007;77:1119-25.
10. Cheng SJ, Tseng IY, Lee JJ, Kok SH. A prospective study of the risk factors associated with failure of mini-implants used for orthodontic anchorage. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2004;19:100-6.
11. Tsaousidis G, Bauss O. Influence of insertion site on the failure rates of orthodontic miniscrews. J Orofac Orthop 2008;69:349-56.
12. Lee M, Shuman J. Maxillary molar intrusion with a single miniscrew and a transpalatal arch. J Clin Orthod;46:48-51.
13. Ludwig B, Glasl B, Kinzinger GS, Lietz T, Lisson JA. Anatomical guidelines for miniscrew insertion: Vestibular interradicular sites. J Clin Orthod;45:165-73.
14. Poggio PM, Incorvati C, Velo S, Carano A. “Safe zones”: a guide for miniscrew positioning in the maxillary and mandibular arch. Angle Orthod 2006;76:191-7.
15. Kim SH, Yoon HG, Choi YS, Hwang EH, Kook YA, Nelson G. Evaluation of interdental space of the maxillary posterior area for orthodontic mini-implants with cone-beam computed tomography. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2009;135:635-41.
16. Wilmes B, Panayotidis A, Drescher D. Fracture resistance of orthodontic mini-implants: a biomechanical in vitro study. Eur J Orthod 2011;33:396-401.
17. Wiechmann D, Meyer U, Büchter A. Success rate of mini- and micro-implants used for orthodontic anchorage: a prospective clinical study. Clin Oral Implants Res 2007;18:263-7.
18. Fritz U, Diedrich P. Clinical suitability of titanium microscrews for orthodontic anchorage. In: Nanda R, Uribe FA, eds. Temporary anchorage devices in orthodontics. St. Louis: Mosby Elsevier, 2009;287-94.
19. Ludwig B, Glasl B, Bowman SJ, Wilmes B, Kinzinger GS, Lisson JA. Anatomical guidelines for miniscrew insertion: palatal sites. J Clin Orthod 2011;45:433-41.
20. Miyawaki S, Koyama I, Inoue M, Mishima K, Sugahara T, TakanoYamamoto T. Factors associated with the stability of titanium screws placed in the posterior region for orthodontic anchorage. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2003;124:373-8.
21. Chen YH, Chang HH, Chen YJ, Lee D, Chiang HH, Yao CC. Root contact during insertion of miniscrews for orthodontic anchorage increases the failure rate: an animal study. Clin Oral Implants Res 2008;19:99-106.
22. Kadioglu O, Büyükyilmaz T, Zachrisson BU, Maino BG. Contact damage to root surfaces of premolars touching miniscrews during orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;134:353-60.
23. Maino BG, Weiland F, Attanasi A, Zachrisson BU, Buyukyilmaz T. Root damage and repair after contact with miniscrews. J Clin Orthod 2007;41:762-6; quiz 750.
24. Gracco A, Tracey S, Baciliero U. Miniscrew insertion and the maxillary sinus: an endoscopic evaluation. J Clin Orthod;44:439-43.
25. Karagkiolidou A, Ludwig B, Pazera P, Gkantidis N, Pandis N, Katsaros C. Survival of palatal miniscrews used for orthodontic appliance anchorage: a retrospective cohort study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2013;143:767-72.
26. Wilmes B, Nienkemper M, Ludwig B, Nanda R, Drescher D. Uppermolar intrusion using anterior palatal anchorage and the Mousetrap appliance. J Clin Orthod 2013;47:314-20; quiz 328.
27. Wilmes B, Vasudavan S, Stocker B, Willmann JH, Drescher D. Closure of an open bite using the ‘Mousetrap’ appliance: a 3-year follow-up. Aust Orthod J 2015;31:208-15.
28. Wilmes B, Ludwig B, Vasudavan S, Nienkemper M, Drescher D. The T-Zone: Median vs. Paramedian Insertion of Palatal MiniImplants. J Clin Orthod 2016;50:543-51.
29. Wilmes B, Drescher D, Nienkemper M. A miniplate system for improved stability of skeletal anchorage. J Clin Orthod 2009;43:494- 501.