SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Australasian Orthodontic Journal. Volume 33, Issue 1, Pages 97-104, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/aoj-2020-089
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Published Online: 30-July-2021
The case of an 8-year-old female affected by Noonan syndrome is presented. The orofacial findings comprised a skeletal Class III malocclusion, transverse maxillary deficiency, a long face and severe tooth size-arch length discrepancy. The interceptive orthodontic approach focused on addressing the patient’s problems while keeping treatment as simple as possible. Management consisted of rapid maxillary expansion and serial extractions in the mandible. Treatment alternatives and results are discussed and a one-year follow-up is provided.
1. Shaw AC, Kalidas K, Crosby AH, Jeffery S, Patton MA. The natural history of Noonan syndrome: a long-term follow-up study. Arch Dis Child 2007;92:128-32.
2. Noonan J, Ehmke D. Associated noncardiac malformations in children with congenital heart disease. J Pediatr 1963;63:468.
3. Tartaglia M, Mehler EL, Goldberg R, Zampino G, Brunner HG, Kremer H et al. Mutations in PTPN11, encoding the protein tyrosine phosphatase SHP-2, cause Noonan syndrome. Nat Genet 2001;29:465-8.
4. Mendez HM, Opitz JM. Noonan syndrome: a review. Am J Med Genet 1985;21:493-506.
5. Romano AA, Allanson JE, Dahlgren J, Gelb BD, Hall B, Pierpont ME. Noonan syndrome: clinical features, diagnosis, and management guidelines. Pediatrics 2010;126:746-59.
6. Fonteles CSR, De Miranda Mota AC, Lima RA, Borges PC, Da Silveira A. Conservative management of severe open bite and feeding difficulties in patient with Noonan syndrome. Cleft Palate Craniofac J 2013;50:242-8.
7. Roberts AE, Allanson JE, Tartaglia M, Gelb BD. Noonan syndrome. Lancet 2013;26:333-42.
8. Bhambhani V, Muenke M. Noonan syndrome. Am Fam Physician 2014;89:37-43.
9. Addante RR, Breen GH. Cherubism in a patient with Noonan’s syndrome. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1996;54:210-3.
10. Tartaglia M, Gelb BD. Noonan syndrome and related disorders: genetics and pathogenesis. Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 2005;6:45-68.
11. Tidyman WE, Rauen KA. The RASopathies: developmental syndromes of Ras/MAPK pathway dysregulation. Curr Opin Genet Dev 2009;19:230-6.
12. Sugar AW, Ezsias A, Bloom AL, Morcos WE. Orthognathic surgery in a patient with Noonan’s syndrome. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 1994;52:421-5.
13. Okada M, Sasaki N, Kaihara Y, Okada R, Amano H, Miura K et al. Oral findings in Noonan syndrome: report of a case. J Oral Sci 2003;45:117-21.
14. Asokan S, Muthu M, Rathna Prabhu V. Noonan syndrome: a case report. J Indian Soc Pedod Prev Dent 2007;25:144-7.
15. Ortega Ade O, Guaré Rde O, Kawaji NS, Ciamponi AL. Orofacial aspects in Noonan syndrome: 2 case report. J Dent Child (Chic) 2008;75:85-90.
16. Emral ME, Akcam MO. Noonan syndrome: a case report. J Oral Sci 2009;51:301-6.
17. Ierardo G, Luzzi V, Panetta F, Sfasciotti G, Polimeni A. Noonan Syndrome: A case report. Eur J Paediatr Dent 2010;11:97-100.
18. Mocanu RM, Zetu IN, Vulpoiu C, Bălan A. Orofacial findings in Noonan syndrome: a case report. Int J Med Dent 2013;3:162-5.
19. Baccetti T, Franchi L, McNamara JA Jr. The Cervical Vertebral Maturation (CVM) method for the assessment of optimal treatment timing in dentofacial orthopedics. Semin Orthod 2005;11:119-29.
20. Ngan P, Moon W. Evolution of Class III treatment in orthodontics. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2015;148:22-36.
21. De Clerck HJ, Proffit WR. Growth modification of the face: A current perspective with emphasis on Class III treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2015;148:37-46.
22. Zimmer B, Schenk-Kazan S. Dental compensation for skeletal Class III malocclusion by isolated extraction of mandibular teeth. Part 1: Occlusal situation 12 years after completion of active treatment. J Orofac Orthop 2015;76:251-64.
23. Araugio RM, Landre J Jr, Silva Dde L, Pacheco W, Pithon MM, Oliveira DD. Influence of the expansion screw height on the dental effects of the Hyrax expander: a study with finite elements. Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop 2013;143:221-7.
24. Dewel BF. Serial extraction: its limitations and contraindications in orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod 1967;53:904-21.
25. Wagner M, Berg R. Serial extraction or premolar extraction in the permanent dentition? Comparison of duration and outcome of orthodontic treatment. J Orofac Orthop 2000;61:207-16.
26. Little RM, Riedel RA, Engst ED. Serial extraction of first premolars - postretention evaluation of stability and relapse. Angle Orthod 1990;60:255-62.
27. Björk A, Skieller V. Facial development and tooth eruption. An implant study at the age of puberty. Am J Orthod 1972;62:339-83.
28. Kjellgren B. Serial extraction as a corrective procedure in dental orthopaedic therapy. Eur J Orthod 2007;29:37-50.
29. O’Shaughnessy KW, Koroluk LD, Phillips C, Kennedy DB. Efficiency of serial extraction and late premolar extraction cases treated with fixed appliances. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011;139:510-6.
30. Cozzani M, Rosa M, Cozzani P, Siciliani G. Deciduous dentitionanchored rapid maxillary expansion in crossbite and non-crossbite mixed dentition patients: reaction of the permanent first molar. Prog Orthod 2003;4:15-22.
31. Stepovich ML. A clinical study on closing edentolous spaces in the mandible. Angle Orthod 1979;49:227-33.
32. Hom BM, Turley PK. The effects of space closure of the mandibular first molar area in adults. Am J Orthod 1984;85:457-69.
33. Kim SJ, Sung EH, Kim JW, Baik HS, Lee KJ. Mandibular molar protraction as an alternative treatment for edentolous spaces: Focus on changes in root length and alveolar bone height. J Am Dent Assoc 2015;146:820-9.
34. Uribe F, Janakiraman N, Fattal AN, Schincaglia GP, Nanda R. Corticotomy-assisted molar protraction with the aid of temporary anchorage device. Angle Orthod 2013;83:1083-92.