SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Australasian Orthodontic Journal. Volume 33, Issue 2, Pages 150-157, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/aoj-2020-093
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Published Online: 30-July-2021
Interproximal reduction (IPR) is the deliberate removal of part of the dental enamel from the interproximal contact areas, which decreases the mesiodistal width of a tooth. This enamel may be removed for various reasons, but most commonly to create space during orthodontic treatment or to correct tooth-size discrepancies. Several authors have also encouraged its use as a method by which post-orthodontic stability might be enhanced, particularly in the lower anterior region. With the increased use of removable aligners for orthodontic treatment in which non-extraction therapy is often advocated, the use of IPR becomes a valuable tool to relieve crowding without over-expanding the dental arches. It is possible that inaccurate IPR could result in the over-reduction of enamel, the creation of ledges and notches in the proximal surfaces, increased tooth sensitivity or damage to the surrounding soft tissues. However, carefully conducted IPR performed within the recommended guidelines may be used as a safe method to gain space for the relief of crowding, to correct tooth-size discrepancies and to improve aesthetics and long-term stability in selected orthodontic patients.
1. Danesh G, Hellak A, Lippold C, Ziebura T, Schafer E. Enamel surfaces following interproximal reduction with different methods. Angle Orthod 2007;77:1004-10.
2. Barcoma E, Shroff B, Best AM, Shoff MC, Lindauer SJ. Interproximal reduction of teeth: Differences in perspective between orthodontists and dentists. Angle Orthod 2015;85:820-5.
3. Ballard ML. Asymmetry in tooth size: a factor in the etiology, diagnosis and treatment of malocclusion. Angle Orthod 1944;14:67-70.
4. Bolton WA. Disharmony in tooth size and its relation to the analysis and treatment of malocclusion. Angle Orthod 1958;23:113-30.
5. Lapenaite E, Lopatiene K. Interproximal enamel reduction as a part of orthodontic treatment. Stomatologija 2014;16:19-24.
6. Lusterman EA. Treatment of a Class II Division 2 malocclusion involving mesiodistal reduction of mandibular anterior teeth: report of a case. Am J Orthod 1954;40:44-50.
7. Chudasama D, Sheridan JJ. Guidelines for contemporary air-rotor stripping. J Clin Orthod 2007;41:315-20.
8. Nazruddin T. Treatment of crowding teeth with interproximal reduction of the teeth. J Dent Res 1997;76:1209-10.
9. Sheridan JJ. The physiologic rationale for air-rotor stripping. J Clin Orthod 1997;31:609-12.
10. Hudson AL. A study of the effects of mesiodistal reduction of mandibular anterior teeth. Am J Orthod 1956;42:615-24.
11. Stroud JL, English J, Buschang PH. Enamel thickness of the posterior dentition: its implications for nonextraction treatment. Angle Orthod 1998;68:141-6.
12. Chua ES, Felicita AS. The orthodontic extraction of permanent molars: a literature review. Aust Orthod J 2015;31:69-77.
13. Peck H, Peck S. An index for assessing tooth shape deviations as applied to the mandibular incisors. Am J Orthod 1972;61:384-401.
14. Peck S, Peck H. Crown dimensions and mandibular incisor alignment. Angle Orthod 1972;42:148-53.
15. Blake M, Bibby K. Retention and stability: a review of the literature. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1998;114:299-306.
16. Gilmore CA, Little RM. Mandibular incisor dimensions and crowding. Am J Orthod 1984;86:493-502.
17. Boese LR. Fiberotomy and reproximation without lower retention, 9 years in retrospect. 1. Angle Orthod 1980;50:88-97.
18. Boese LR. Fiberotomy and reproximation without lower retention 9 years in retrospect. 2. Angle Orthod 1980;50:169-78.
19. Edman Tynelius G, Petrén S, Bondemark L, Lilja-Karlander E. Five-year postretention outcomes of three retention methods--a randomized controlled trial. Eur J Orthod 2015;37:345-53.
20. Yitschaky O, Neuhof MS, Yitschaky M, Zini A. Relationship between dental crowding and mandibular incisor proclination during orthodontic treatment without extraction of permanent mandibular teeth. Angle Orthod 2016;86:727-33.
21. De la cruz A, Sampson P, Little RM, Artun J, Shapiro PA. Long-term changes in arch form after orthodontic treatment and retention. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1995;107:518-30.
22. Felton JM, Sinclair PM, Jones DL, Alexander RG. A computerized analysis of the shape and stability of mandibular arch form. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1987;92:478-83.
23. Duncan LO, Piedade L, Lekic M, Cunha RS, Wiltshire WA. Changes in mandibular incisor position and arch form resulting from Invisalign correction of the crowded dentition treated nonextraction. Angle Orthod 2016;86:577-83.
24. Tarnow DP, Magner AW, Fletcher P. The effect of the distance from the contact point to the crest of bone on the presence or absence of the interproximal dental papilla. J Periodontol 1992;63:995-6.
25. Aldrees AM, Al-Shujaa AM, Alqahtani MA, Aljhani AS. Is arch form influenced by sagittal molar relationship or Bolton tooth-size discrepancy? BMC Oral Health 2015;15:70.
26. Heusdens M, Dermaut L, Verbeeck R. The effect of tooth size discrepancy on occlusion: An experimental study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2000;117:184-91.
27. Jarjoura K, Gagnon G, Nieberg L. Caries risk after interproximal enamel reduction. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2006;130:26-30.
28. Chenin DA, Trosien AH, Fong PF, Miller RA, Lee RS. Orthodontic treatment with a series of removable appliances. J Am Dent Assoc 2003;134:1232-9.
29. Germeç D, Taner TU. Effects of extraction and nonextraction therapy with air-rotor stripping on facial esthetics in postadolescent borderline patients. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2008;133:539-49.
30. Travess H, Roberts-Harry D, Sandy J. Orthodontics. Part 8: Extractions in orthodontics. Brit Dent J 2004;196:195-203.
31. Gillings B, Buonocore M. An investigation of enamel thickness in human lower incisor teeth. J Dent Res 1961;40:105-18.
32. Shillingburg HT Jr, Grace CS. Thickness of enamel and dentin. J South Cal Dent Assoc 1973;41:33-6.
33. Peck H, Peck S. Reproximation (enamel stripping) as an essential orthodontic treatment ingredient. Transactions of the 3rd International Orthodontic Congress. London, 1975:513-23.
34. Richardson ER, Malhotra SK. Mesiodistal crown dimension of the permanent dentition of American Negroes. Am J Orthod 1975;68:157-64.
35. Moss ML, Moss-Salentijn L. Analysis of developmental processes possibly related to human dental sexual dimorphism in permanent and deciduous canines. Am J Phys Anthropol 1977;46:407-13.
36. Stroud JL, Buschang PH, Goaz PW. Sexual dimorphism in mesiodistal dentin and enamel thickness. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 1994;23:169-71.
37. Harris EF, Hicks JD. A radiographic assessment of enamel thickness in human maxillary incisors. Arch Oral Biol 1998;43:825-31.
38. Grine FE, Stevens NJ, Jungers WL. An evaluation of dental radiograph accuracy in the measurement of enamel thickness. Arch Oral Biol 2001;46:1117-25.
39. Hall NE, Lindauer SJ, Tüfekçi E, Shroff B. Predictors of variation in mandibular incisor enamel thickness. J Am Dent Assoc 2007;138:809-15.
40. Sarig R, Vardimon AD, Sussan C, Benny L, Sarne O, Hershkovitz I et al. Pattern of maxillary and mandibular proximal enamel thickness at the contact area of the permanent dentition from first molar to first molar. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2015;147:435-44.
41. Johner AM, Pandis N, Dudic A, Kiliaridis S. Quantitative comparison of three enamel-stripping devices: how precisely can we strip teeth? Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2013;143:S168-72.
42. Gupta P, Gupta N, Patel N, Gupta R, Sandhu GS, Naik C. Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of enamel after various post-stripping polishing methods: an in vitro study. Aust Orthod J 2012;28:240-4.
43. Twesme DA, Firestone AR, Heaven TJ, Feagin FF, Jacobson A. Airrotor stripping and enamel demineralization in-vitro. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1994;105:142-52.
44. Zachrisson BU. Actual damage to teeth and periodontal tissues with mesiodistal enamel reduction (“stripping”). World J Orthod 2004;5:178-83.
45. Bishara S. An interview with Robert L. Vanarsdall Jr. World J Orthod 2004;5:74-6.
46. Yagci A, Uysal T, Demirsoy KK, Percin D. Relationship between odontogenic bacteremia and orthodontic stripping. Am J Orthod Dentofac 2013;144:73-7.
47. Artun J, Kokich VG, Osterberg SK. Long-Term effect of root proximity on periodontal health after orthodontic treatment. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1987;91:125-30.
48. Zingler S, Sommer A, Sen S, Saure D, Langer J, Guillon O et al. Efficiency of powered systems for interproximal enamel reduction (IER) and enamel roughness before and after polishing-an in vitro study. Clin Oral Invest 2016;20:933-42.
49. Joseph VP, Rossouw PE, Basson NJ. Orthodontic microabrasive reproximation. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1992;102:351-9.
50. Lundgren T, Milleding P, Mohlin B, Nannmark U. Restitution of enamel after interdental stripping. Swed Dent J 1993;17:217-24.
51. Piacentini C, Sfondrini G. A scanning electron microscopy comparison of enamel polishing methods after air-rotor stripping. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1996;109:57-63.
52. Arman A, Cehreli SB, Ozel E, Arhun N, Cetinşahin A, Soyman M. Qualitative and quantitative evaluation of enamel after various stripping methods. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2006;130:131. e7-14.
53. Koretsi V, Chatzigianni A, Sidiropoulou S. Enamel roughness and incidence of caries after interproximal enamel reduction: a systematic review. Orthod Craniofac Res 2014;17:1-13.
54. Zhong M, Jost-Brinkmann PG, Zellmann M, Zellmann S, Radlanski RJ. Clinical evaluation of a new technique for interdental enamel reduction. J Orofac Orthop 2000;61:432-9.
55. Zhong M, Jost-Brinkmann PG, Radlanski RJ, Miethke RR. SEM evaluation of a new technique for interdental stripping. J Clin Orthod 1999;33:286-92.
56. Zachrisson BU, Minster L, Ogaard B, Birkhed D. Dental health assessed after interproximal enamel reduction: caries risk in posterior teeth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2011;139:90-8.
57. Radlanski RJ, Jager A, Zimmer B. Morphology of interdentally stripped enamel one year after treatment. J Clin Orthod 1989;23:748-50.
58. Crain G, Sheridan JJ. Susceptibility to caries and periodontal disease after posterior air-rotor stripping. J Clin Orthod 1990;24:84-5.
59. El-Mangoury NH, Moussa MM, Mostafa YA, Girgis AS. In-vivo remineralization after air-rotor stripping. J Clin Orthod 1991;25:75-8.
60. Zachrisson BU, Nyøygaard L, Mobarak K. Dental health assessed more than 10 years after interproximal enamel reduction of mandibular anterior teeth. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2007;131:162-9.