SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Australasian Orthodontic Journal. Volume 33, Issue 2, Pages 236-248, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/aoj-2020-102
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Published Online: 30-July-2021
Objective: To investigate the applicability of Pont’s index for predicting maxillary and mandibular dental arch widths in a Pakistani population.
Materials and methods: A Hirox digital stereomicroscope (SM) (HIROX KH7700 Japan) was used to construct digital models of fabricated plaster casts. Gender differences in the measured totals of the incisor widths, arch widths and expansion indices were evaluated. Pont’s correlations were computed between measured and predicted arch widths. An analysis of variance (ANOVA) was applied to determine the differences between arch length and arch perimeter groups.
Results: Males had significantly larger mean values for the sums of the incisors, arch widths and expansion indices compared with females (p ≤ 0.05). There were significant differences observed between the large and small, average and small and the average and large arch length groups (p ≤ 0.05) in the maxilla, while a significant difference was observed only between the large and small arch length groups in the mandibular arch. Pont’s index predictions were consistently less than the actual interpremolar and intermolar arch widths for both genders. The dissimilarity in the predictions for interpremolar width averaged -4.33 mm for males and -4.21 mm for females while the intermolar width averages were -4.93 mm for males and -4.92 mm for females.
Conclusion: The results indicated that Pont’s index should not be applied to the Pakistani population. Maxillary and mandibular arch length groups and arch perimeters should be carefully investigated before applying any prediction formulae.
1. Nimkarn Y, Miles PG, O’Reilly MT, Weyant RJ. The validity of maxillary expansion indices. Angle Orthod 1995;65:321-6.
2. Sridharan K, Madhusudhan V, Srinivasa H, Mahobia Y, Shailesh S. Evaluation of validity of Pont’s Analysis in Tumkur population. J Dental Sci Res 2011;2:41-9.
3. Kahl-Nieke B, Fischbach H, Schwarze CW. Treatment and postretention changes in dental arch width dimensions--a longterm evaluation of influencing cofactors. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1996;109:368-78.
4. Stifter J. A study of Pont’s, Howes’, Rees’, Neff’s and Bolton’s Analyses on Class I adult dentitions. Angle Orthod 1958;28:215-25.
5. Rees DJ. A method for assessing the proportional relation of apical bases and contact diameters of the teeth. Am J Orthod 1953;39:695-707.
6. Pont A. The tooth index in orthodontics. Z Zahnärztl Orthop 1909;3:306-21.
7. Agnihotri G, Gulati M. Maxillary molar and premolar indices in North Indians: a dimorphic study. Int J Biol Anthrop 2007;2:1-10.
8. Gupta DS, Sharma VP, Aggarwal SP. Pont’s Index as applied on Indians. Angle Orthod 1979;49:269-71.
9. Worms F, Speidel T, Meskin L, Isaacson R. The validity of Pont’s index as an orthodontic diagnostic tool. IADR Meeting;1969:213.
10. Ordoubazary M, Zafarmand AH, Madani A, Ordoubazary A. Comparison of Pont’s and Korkhaus indices at different populations. Hellenic Orthod Rev 2007;10:67-74.
11. Hong Q, Tan J, Koirala R, Lina Y, Shimizu T, Nakano K et al. A study of Bolton’s and Pont’s analysis on permanent dentition of Nepalese. J Hard Tissue Biol 2008;17:55-62.
12. Dalidjan M, Sampson W, Townsend G. Prediction of dental arch development: an assessment of Pont’s Index in three human populations. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1995;107:465-75.
13. Alam MK, Purmal K, Begum S, Saifuddin M, Sikder M. Fallibility of Pont’s index in a Bangladeshi population. Orthod Waves 2014;73:61-7.
14. Vandenbroucke JP, Von Elm E, Altman DG, Gøtzsche PC, Mulrow CD, Pocock SJ et al. Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE): explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med 2007;147:163-94.
15. Prabhu S, Acharya AB. Odontometric sex assessment in Indians. Forensic Sci Int 2009;192:121-9.
16. Dupont WD, Plummer WD Jr. Power and sample size calculations for studies involving linear regression. Control Clin trials 1998;19:589- 601.
17. Williams AC, Stephens CD. A modification to the incisor classification of malocclusion. Br J Orthod 1992;19:127-30.
18. Shahid F, Khursheed Alam M, Fadhli Khamis M, Muraoka R, Nakano K, Okafuji N. Validity and reliability of digital model measurements: a digital stereomicroscopic study. J Hard Tissue Biol 2014;23:439-44.
19. Alam MK, Shahid F, Purmal K, Ahmad B, Khamis MF. Bolton tooth size ratio and its relation with arch widths, arch length and arch perimeter: a cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) study. Acta Odontol Scand 2014;72:1047-53.
20. Purmal K, Alam MK, Moganadass DD, Zakaria NN, Cheong NW. The application and correlation of Pont’s Index to the facial framework of three main ethnic groups in Malaysia. Aust Orthod J 2013;29:34-42.
21. Houston WJ. The analysis of errors in orthodontic measurements. Am J Orthod 1983;83:382-90.
22. Nojima K, McLaughlin RP, Isshiki Y, Sinclair PM. A comparative study of Caucasian and Japanese mandibular clinical arch forms. Angle Orthod 2001;71:195-200.
23. Lew K. The effect of variations in the mandibular plane angle on the Pont’s Index. Funct Orthod 1991;8:24-7.
24. Al-Omari IK, Duaibis RB, Al-Bitar ZB. Application of Pont’s Index to a Jordanian population. Eur J Orthod 2007;29:627-31.
25. Alvaran N, Roldan SI, Buschang PH. Maxillary and mandibular arch widths of Colombians. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2009;135:649-56.
26. Sergl H, Reinhardt R, Zentner A, Schmidt J. [A dental arch index related to tooth size and facial breadth]. Fortschr Kieferorthop 1994;55:119-25. German.
27. Joondeph DR, Riedel RA, Moore AW. Pont’s index: a clinical evaluation. Angle Orthod 1970;40:112-8.
28. Worms FW, Speidel TM, Isaacson RJ, Meskin LH. Pont’s index and dental arch form. J Am Dent Assoc 1972;85:876-81.
29. Redmond WR, Redmond WJ, Redmond MJ. Clinical implications of digital orthodontics. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2000;117:240-1.
30. Peluso MJ, Josell SD, Levine SW, Lorei BJ. Digital models: an introduction. Semi Orthod 2004;10:226-38.
31. Smith SS, Buschang PH, Watanabe E. Interarch tooth size relationships of 3 populations: “Does Bolton’s analysis apply?”. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2000;117:169-74.
32. de la Cruz A, Sampson P, Little RM, Årtun J, Shapiro PA. Long-term changes in arch form after orthodontic treatment and retention. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 1995;107:518-30.
33. Sillman JH. A serial study on occlusion from birth to three years. Am J Orthod Oral Surg 1940; 26:207-27.
34. Moorrees CF, Chadha JM. Available space for the incisors during dental development-a growth study based on physiologic age. Angle Orthod 1965;35:12-22.
35. Lebret L. Growth changes of the palate. J Dent Res 1962;41:1391-1404.
36. Rathi MK, Fida M. Applicability of Pont’s index in orthodontics. J Coll Physcian Surg Pak 2014;24:256-60.