SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : International Journal on Smart Sensing and Intelligent Systems. Volume 7, Issue 3, Pages 1,059-1,076, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/ijssis-2017-694
License : (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
Received Date : 16-May-2014 / Accepted: 04-July-2014 / Published Online: 01-September-2014
A digital moisture measuring instrument based on phase angle measuring technique with porous silicon (PSi) or porous alumina (PA) as capacitive moisture sensor is proposed. The proposed technique can measure digitally the phase angle change of capacitive impedance of porous silicon or porous alumina sensor due to change in moisture concentration in terms of clock pulses. Analysis shows that the proposed circuit leads to higher precision by minimizing the errors caused by parasitic earth capacitance as well as offset voltage in the circuit. Simulation and experimental results are reported to confirm the effectiveness of the technique.
1. Z. M. Rittersma, “Recent achievements in miniaturized humidity sensor—A review of transduction technique,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 96, nos. 2–3, 2002, pp. 196–210.
2. T. Islam, L. Kumar, S A Khan, “A novel sol-gel thin film porous alumina based capacitive sensor for measuring trace moisture in the range of 2.5 to 25 ppm”, Sensors and Actuators B, vol. 173, October 2012, pp. 377-384.
3. L. Kumar, , D.D. Saha, K. Sengupta, S. A. Khan, T. Islam, A medium range hygrometer using nano-porous thin film of γ-Al2O3 with phase detection electronics, IEEE Sensors,vol.12, no. 5, 2012, pp. 1625 – 1632.
4. T. Islam, S.S. Islam, H. Saha, Porous silicon based moisture detector in the ppmV range,Sensors Letters, vol. 6, 2008, pp. 746-751.
5. Saakshi Dhanekar, S.S. Islam, T. Islam, Harsh, “Highly sensitive porous silicon sensor:detection of organic vapours using photoluminescence quenching”, Int. Journal on Smart Sensing and Intelligent Systems, 3 (1), March 2010, pp. 1-13.
6. Tarikul Islam, Anwar Ulla Khan, Jamil Akhtar, and Mohammad Zia Ur Rahman, “A digital hygrometer for trace moisture measurement”, IEEE transc. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 61, no. 10, October 2014, pp. 5599-5605.
7. Hague, Ford, Alternating Current Bridge Method”, Pitman Publishing, 1971.
8. Gerad C.M. Meijer, Smart Sensor Systems, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. 2008.
9. C. Kolle, P O’Leary, “Low-cost, high-precision measurement system for capacitive sensors”, Meas. Sci. Technol. 9, 1998, pp. 510-517.
10. Amir Abu Al Aish, Mahfoozur Rehman, “Development of a capacitive mass measuring system”, Sensors and Actuators A 151, 2009, pp. 113-117.
11. V. Ferrari, C.Ghidini, D. Marioli, A. Taroni, “Oscillator based signal conditioning with improved linearity for resistive sensors”, IEEE transc. on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 47, no.1, February 1998, pp. 293-298.
12. Tarikul Islam, Lokesh Kumar, Zaheer Uddin, and Amit Ganguly, “Relaxation oscillatorbased active bridge circuit for linearly converting resistance to frequency of resistive sensor”, IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 13, no. 5, May 2013, pp. 1507-1513.
13. J. Das, S.M. Hossain, S. Chakraborty, H. Saha, “Role of parasitics in humidity sensing by porous silicon,” Sensors and Actuators A, vol. 94, 2004, pp. 44-52.
14. Mohd Syaifudin Abdul Rahman, S. C. Mukhopadhyay, P.L.Yu, C.H.Chuang and M. Haji-Sheikh, “Measurements and Performance Evaluation of Novel Interdigital Sensors for Different Chemicals Related to Food Poisoning”, IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 11, No. 11,November 2011, pp. 2957-2965.
15. Saleem M.R. Taha,”Digital measurement of the polar and rectangular forms of impedances”, IEEE transc. on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 38, no. 1, February,1989, pp. 59-63.
16. S.M. Huang, J. Fielden, R G Greens and M S Beck, Electronic transducers for industrial measurement of low value capacitances, J. Phys. E: Sci. Instr. 21,1988, pp. 251-256.
17. S. C. Mukhopadhyay, “Planar Electromagnetic Sensors: Characterization, Applications and Experimental Results”, tm - Technisches Messen Vol. 74, No. 5,pp. 290-297, May 2007.
18. M A Atmanand, V J Kumar, VGK Murti, “A microcontroller-based scheme for measurement of L and C”, Meas. Sci. Technol. 6, 1995, pp. 576-581.
19. Rahman, M.S.A., Mukhopadhyay, S.C., Yu, P.L., Goicoechea, J., Matias, I.R., Gooneratne,C.P., Kosel, J., Detection of Bacterial Endotoxin in Food: New Planar Interdigital Sensors based Approach, Journal of Food Engineering, 114 (2013) 346–360, 2013
20. Stephan J.G. Gift, Multiphase sinusoidal oscillator using inverting mode operational amplifiers, IEEE transc. on Instrumentation and Measurement, vol-47, no.4, August 1998,pp. 986-991.