SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Transport Problems. Volume 16, Issue 1, Pages 75-86, DOI: https://doi.org/10.21307/tp-2021-007
License : (CC BY 4.0)
Received Date : 02-November-2019 / Accepted: 17-February-2021 / Published Online: 15-March-2021
This computational and experimental work is dedicated to the development of promising designs of vehicle drive shafts made of polymer composite materials. This paper analyzes the existing models of drive shafts of “Formula Student” class vehicles and substantiates the use of a carbon-fiber drive shaft with titanium tips. A manufacturing technology for such a product is also presented. Evaluation of structure performance under the action of ultimate loads was carried out by the finite element method. Prototypes of composite drive shafts were produced for further laboratory and field tests. The author proposed a new design of composite drive shafts and a method for calculating the strength of the proposed design; the results were verified by bench laboratory and field tests. From the results of this work, conclusions about the performance of the developed structures and their applicability to racing cars were drawn.
1. Milliken, W. & Douglas, L. & Olley, M. Chassis Design: Principles and Analysis 2002. Vol. 400. Warrendale: Society of Automotive Engineers. 676 p.
2. Mohmad, M. & Rahman, M, & Khan, S. & Basha, M. & Adom, A. & Hashim, M. Design and static structural analysis of a race car chassis for Formula Society of Automotive Engineers (FSAE) event. In: International Conference on Applications and Design in Mechanical Engineering (ICADME 2017). Penang, Malaysia, 2017.
3. Shoaib, S.K. & Nadeem, G. & Giridhara, H.K. & Rangavittal, A. Review on the design and analysis of composite drive shaft. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2018. Vol. 5. P. 2738-2741.
4. Pankaj, K. & Dalu, R.S. Design and Analysis of Composite Drive Shaft- A Review, International Journal for Scientific and Research and Development. 2015. Vol. 3. No. 1. P. 1294-1297.
5. Kassapoglou, C. Design and analysis of composite structures with applications to aerospace structures. Delft University of Technology. The Netherlands. 2010. 318 p.
6. Parshuram, D & Mangsetty, S. Design and Analysis of Composite/Hybrid Drive Shaft for Automotives. The International Journal of Engineering and Science. 2013. Vol. 2. No.1. P. 160-171.
7. Abu Talib, A.R. & Mohamed, A. & Che Lah, A.F. & et al. Developing a hybrid, carbon/glass fiberreinforced, epoxy composite automotive drive shaft. Materials & Design. 2010. Vol. 31. No. 1. P. 514-521.
8. Chirag, C. & Vaishali, C. & Viroliya, A. Review on “Design and Development of Composite Drive Shaft”. International Journal of Advancements in Research & Technology. 2018. Vol. 7. No. 1. P. 1-6.
9. Srinivasa, M. & Yonas, M. & Sridhar, K. Design of Automobile Driveshaft using Carbon/Epoxy and Kevlar/Epoxy Composites. American Journal of Engineering Research. 2013. Vol. 2. No. 10. P. 173-179.
10.Афанасьев, Б.А. Проектирование полноприводных колесных машин: в 3 т. Учеб. Москва: Издательство МГТУ им. Баумана, 2008. [In Russian: Afanasiev, B.A. Design of all-wheel drive wheeled machines. Moscow: Publishing House of BMSTU].
11.Elanchezhian, C. & Vijaya Ramnath, B. & Sripada Raghavendra, K.N. & Muralidharan, M. & Rekha, G. Design and Comparison of the Strength and Efficiency of Drive Shaft made of Steel and Composite Materials. Materials Today: Proceedings. 2018. Vol. 5. P. 1000-1007.
12.Kollar, L.P. & Springer, G.S. Mechanics of composite structures. Cambridge University Press. 2003. 469 p.
13.Manjunath, K.S. & Mohan Kumar, S. & Channakeshava, K.R. Optimization and Simulation of Composite Driveshaft for Automobile Applications. International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Technology. 2010. Vol. 1. No. 1. P. 76-94.
14.Khezri, M. & Rasmussen, K.J.R. An energy-based approach to buckling modal decomposition of thin-walled members with arbitrary cross sections, Part 1: Derivation. Thin-Walled Structures. 2019. Vol. 138. P. 496-517.
15.Khezri, M. & Mark, A. & Bradford, Z. Application of RKP-FSM in the buckling and free vibration analysis of thin plates with abrupt thickness changes and internal supports. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 2015. Vol. 104. P. 125-156.
16.Васильев, В.В. & Тарнопольский, Ю.М. (ред.) Композиционные материалы: справочник. Москва: Машиностроение. 1990. 512 p. [In Russian: Vasiliev, V.V. & Tarnopolsky, Y.M. (eds.) Composite materials: reference book. Moscow: Mechanical Engineering].
17.Gebresilassie, A. Design and analysis of composite drive shaft for rear-wheel drive engine. International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research. 2012. Vol. 3. No. 5. P. 1-4.
18.Kaw, A.K. Mechanics of composite materials. Boca Raton (Florida): Taylor & Francis Group, 2006. 457 p.
19.Camanho, P.P. Failure criteria for fibre-reinforced polymer composites. 2002. Available at: http://paginas.fe.up.pt/stpinho/teaching/feup/y0506/fcriteria.pdf.
20.Mohammad, R.K. & Anders, D. & Weinberg, K. Influence of strain rate on fracture behavior of sandwich composite T-joints. European Journal of Mechanics - A/Solids. 2019. Vol. 78. P. 1-9.